Buildings

Collegiata di Sant'Andrea

Database ID 166

Location

Dates

mid 5th century
foundation
November 11th, 1059 a
1389 to circa 1397 (date is approximate) b
renovation
August 24th, 1735 to January 23rd, 1803 c
renovation
1912
renovation
July 1944 d

Spaces (1 total)


Notes

  • [a] A papal bull by Nicholas II indicates that the church was part of the Florentine diocese. It likely had been since the previous century.
  • [b] Parish priest Pietro di Ugucciozzo de' Ricci, together with the commune of Empoli and some of its families began a project to rebuild the church in the Gothic style.
  • [c] A major modernization of the building was assigned to Ferdinando Ruggieri, who presented his design to the Opera di Sant'Andrea in August 1735. A new facade was built by Carlo del Re between February 1802 and January 1803.
  • [d] The campanile was blown up by mines. The explosion caused extensive damage to the church ceiling and other parts of the complex.