1 of

Buildings

S. Miniato tra le Torri a

San Miniato tra le Torri was an ancient parish church located in the heart of medieval Florence, within the city’s earliest circuit of walls and among the houses and towers of some of its oldest and most powerful families, including the Lamberti, Buondelmonti, Strozzi, Sassetti, and Minerbetti. Writing in the mid-seventeenth century, Stefano Rosselli considered the church one of Florence’s most ancient foundations. Although he rejected a tradition that attributed its consecration to Pope Pelagius in 507, he pointed to the church’s location at the center of the oldest part of the city as evidence of its antiquity.

Rosselli also suggested that the church may have acquired its name, “San Miniato tra le Torri,” from the many family towers that once surrounded it. Over the centuries its patronage passed through the hands of several prominent Florentine families, most notably the Strozzi, before being divided among other lineages and charitable institutions. According to Rosselli, the church’s rectors traditionally honored the patrons each year on the feast of Saint Minias with ceremonial gifts, a custom later replaced by the presentation of wax torches bearing the saint’s image and the patrons’ coats of arms.

Affiliations (1 total)
  • parochial
Database ID 4

Alternate Names

  • S. Miniatis
  • S. Miniatis infra turres
  • S. Miniato fra le Torri

Dates

December 6th, 1046
foundation
1888
destruction

Affiliated Groups (6 total)

popolo di S. Miniato tra le Torri
1115 to 1785 b
Spinellini c
circa 1344 (date is approximate) to circa 1440s (date is approximate)
Strozzi d
1344 to circa 1580s (date is approximate)
Guiducci da Spicchio
1574 to 1600s
Berti e
circa 1580s (date is approximate) to 1629
Buonuomini di San Martino
1600s to circa 1808 (date is approximate)

Memorials (24 total)


Notes

  • [a] "Sepoltuario Fiorentino...fatta da me Stefano Rosselli MDCLVII." Rosselli del Turco Collection, Borgo SS. Apostoli, Florence, inv. no. 201 (già ms. 262), pp. 1157–58.
  • [b] San Miniato was named as one of 36 parrocchie among the original 48 parishes established at the start of the commune.
  • [c] Stefano Rosselli does not specify when patronage rights fell exclusively to the Strozzi family, but they were shared with the Spinellini (Spinelli) through at least 1384 as recorded in litigation between the two groups. Given that the Strozzi installed and/or refurbished some tombs and altars in the mid-fifteenth century, this might be when they achieved sole patronage rights.
  • [d] Stefano Rosselli recorded that three centuries prior to his writing (1350–57), patronage rights to the church were given to the descendants of messer Ubertino Strozzi, which they shared with messer Niccolò di Lapo Giunta of Castelfiorentino, later known as the Spinelli. Pompeo Litta records more precisely that patronage rights were given to Soldo di Ubertino Strozzi in 1344.
  • [e] At some point after 1575, half of the patronage rights to S. Miniato tra le Torri passed to the Berti family through Piero di Daniello Strozzi, whose sister Margherita married Antonio di Piero Berti. Her grandsons Antonio and Piero di Domenico were the last in the family to retain these rights, after which they passed to Agnolo di Lorenzo Galli in 1629.